Advantages of Traditional Publishing:
- Traditional publications attain more exposure and a wider distribution.
- The work of formatting, editing and cover art is the responsibility of the publishing company.
- They have a lot of marketing power.
- It takes a long period of time to publish a single book, sometimes up to 6 months or more.
- Traditional publishers set the prices of eBooks way too high.
- The publishing company has power over the title and cover art.
- You must pay royalties to the publisher twice a year.
- As the author, the publisher will not involve you when making decisions concerning your own book.
- It is not easy to change the book once it is published.
- The publisher will charge high royalty rates, normally between 6-25%.
- They do not use the marketing power they have effectively.
Advantages of Self-Publishing:
- As the author, you have full control over pricing and cover art.
- Every decision is your responsibility.
- Publishing a book is quite fast and almost instant.
- It does not require any special qualifications and anyone can do it. It is easy to make changes on the book even after publishing.
- There are no free services and you must pay for expert cover art, formatting or editing.
- Self-publications attain fewer sales.
- They occupy less than 10% of the current book market